Sunday, March 22, 2009

We love beer


My earliest beer memory took place when I was about five, in Puerto Rico. My dad and his friends were drinking cold Budweisers and I asked him for a sip. My dad made a crazy face and told me beer was made from goat piss. I had the tiniest sip ever and was convinced he was telling the truth. Oh how things change...

I, of course, never had an underage sip other than that ;-) but eventually grew into liking beer. I try not to be a prissy girl, so in college I made sure never to drink Smirnoffs because I was clearly too cool. OK, maybe I had one or two but I didn't like it. I was lucky to have friends who drank interesting (not always good but at least adventurous) beers, and I started liking Le Fin Du Monde and the other Unibroue offerings. My palate has changed over time and I'm currently on an IPA kick. The hoppier the better. Current fave is Bells' Two Hearted Ale but when I'm on the east coast I have Dogfish Head IPAs.

Willie started enjoying beer in high school wait NO, college. Yes, college. And he claims to have pretty much always liked beer. He is also lucky his parents have a fridge full of good local stuff like Free State (from Lawrence, KS) or Boulevard (from KC). His current favorites are Hopslam (seasonal made by Bell's), Hop Rod Rye (from California's Bear Republic) and Bridgeport IPA. We both love the Boulevard Single and Double Wide IPAs too.

Willie and I have been talking about beer brewing for a while now, and he took the lead and ordered a couple great books. "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian is an excellent resource. I am still in the process of reading but Willie is ready to go! We took a trip to the Bacchus and Barleycorn wine and beerbrewing store in Shawnee, KS, and bought a great starter kit that also came with "The Homebrewer's Companion", the sister book to "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". We picked their "Luplin Fix" kit, which should turn into an English-style IPA. As with any hobby, there is an investment of time and money but the rewards here have the potential to be far cooler than, say, making a friendship bracelet. (no hate intended to the bracelet makers out there) Also, other hobbies don't get you drunk.

The supplies:


The yeast "smack pack":


The workspace:


The Ale Pail:

The grain pour:


Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment